Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Let's talk a little about Nanchang. One thing about China that Todd & I say shouldn't be a surprise... but is... is the fact that there are people EVERYWHERE. People on the streets ALL DAY LONG! They ride bikes, they ride scooters, they drive cars, they take buses, they walk... and they're everywhere. Second, the traffic is INSANE! You would not believe it unless you saw it for yourself. How there are not 1,000 fatalities a day is beyond me. It's no rules traffic... cars, bikes, taxis, buses, pedestrians... all dodging and swerving and stopping and starting... it's unbelievable. Third, China is SO CLEAN! There is no trash. There are always people sweeping sidewalks and emptying trash cans. The cities are pretty too. Flowers line the street medians and traffic corners... petunias, geraniums... all very colorful & manicured. There are some funky smells from time to time... but the cities are CLEAN!
Today we had a busy morning. The adoption was finalized here in Jiangxi province, we paid our money (whew... I was ready to get rid of all that cash... too nervewracking) and then we went to the Nanchang police department and applied for her Chinese passport. Now I'm understanding more why we're here so long. We are waiting for her passport to come in so we can leave the country with her. Then we'll leave here on Friday and travel to Guangzhou to complete the American side of the adoption.
I'll leave you today/tonight with Todd's video. It contains pictures and live video footage of the first moments we got to meet Lilly on Monday morning. It's his latest obsession... personal video director extrodinairre! Lilly's asleep and like all new mom's I better sleep while she's sleeping... right? More later... and it's interesting... a trip to Chinese Wal-Mart!
Monday, May 26, 2008
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Friday, May 23, 2008
The story on how we got here so fast will require much writing. And I will. But tonight... I haven't really slept in two nights and I took a Unisom about 15 minutes ago so I'm just going to give highlights from today's trip. We are settled in at the beautiful Chang An Hotel (a.k.a. Days Inn) in downtown Beijing. They ran out of regular rooms and so we're enjoying a suite... it's quite swanky. I've already been to the Grocery Store (more on that later) and we had a very American dinner. I'll be braver tomorrow. Here are pictures from today's
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Monday, May 19, 2008
- Luggage. Since Baby #1 is going that gets me another BIG rolling suitcase. I haven't started shoving it all in & weighing them yet... that might be ugly.
- New Fancy Camera. The Money Maker gave me a new camera for Mother's Day. He did it because I told him if he didn't I was going to buy it for myself. That way I still get the camera and he gets the credit. I know how he works! The books (yes, books) and DVDs that came with the camera are going to be my entertainment on the plane... I have 17 hours to learn how to use the thing.
- Clothes to be washed. These are for Lilly that need to be washed in Ivory Snow. I'm having a hard time finding Ivory Snow. All I can find is Dreft. I used Ivory Snow with Babies 1, 2 & 3... where are you old friend?
- Gifts. We have to take gifts for somebody. I swear... you'd think after waiting for this moment for 4 years I'd know EXACTLY what was for who... but I don't. All I know is that I need 6-10 "gifts" for some people in China associated with Lilly. It cannot be made in China. I bought Atlanta Falcon t-shirts for the guys (something Georgian) and Bath & Body Works gels & scrubs for the girls.
- Toys. We've been advised to bring a few small & interesting toys for Lilly. So we are.
- Hmmmm... how to describe? This pile is for stuff like duct tape, baggies, umbrella, flashlight, tongs to get bottles out of boiling water... stuff like that. Practical things?
- Smell Goods. I've heard how the hotel rooms smell of either A.) mildew or B.) cigarette smoke and so I'm bringing scented candles & room nuetralizer. This one in the can claims to rid rooms of cigarette smoke smell.
- Sanitation Supplies. This pile is totally devoted to hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial hand wipes, plastic gloves & kleenex. I'm not a germ phobe... but prevention is the best medicine!
- Food. Several different boxes or Gatorade, Propel & Crystal Light to mix in water bottles. Mac-n-Cheese, Ramen Noodles, Beef Jerky, Peanut Butter. I'm a little bit scared of the food. I don't have a weak stomach, but it's not an iron one either. I'm also bringing plastic utensils as well.
- OTC Medicine & Toiletries. I'm bringing about a gazillion Benadryl pills for The Money Maker... and all the other "stuff" bandaids, Neosporin, Immodium AD... etc. and travel size toothpaste, deoderant, etc.
- Box the arrived from Gymboree. I couldn't help myself. They had a sale. Gymboree is my FAVORITE store... LOVE IT! And Baby #1 & #2 are too big for it now... and too cool. We gotta shop at Limited Two, Justice or places too-cool-for-school! Pa-leez!
- Car Seat. We're not taking it to China but my Mom, Sisters, G-mas gave me this very cool Britax car seat. I'll have whoever is picking us up from the airport put it in the car.
- Pictures. The Money Maker has been promising me a day to finish up some things in her nursery... I'm still waiting. He's got 3 days left!
- More "stuff." The pink portfolios are for documents & money... bubble wrap in case I buy something fragile (every time I write or say that word I think of the dad from "A Christmas Story" when the leg lamp arrives at their house with FRAGILE stamped on the box and he says "FRA-GEE-LAY"... it must be French!" That' s my favorite Christmas movie by the way.) And wrapping supplies for the gifts so it doesn't get all wrinkled & smushed on the trip over.
- Lilly's things. Diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. You know, baby stuff.
- My packing list. More and more things are getting checked off.
- Random doll. It's not new. Not sure where it came from. I want Lilly to have little Asian dolls... dolls that look like her. This caucasian doll will not do.
- Round table I still have not made the cloth for... will have to wait.
- Baby #1's Recorder Music Notebook. The 4th graders at her school have been learning to play the recorder this year in music. It's amazing how well she can play it. She played to me while I packed... she can even play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" blowing air out of her nose. Sounds sick but it's hilarious.
- Nasty carpet. Scheduled to be cleaned Wednesday between 12-3. Have been determined NOT to let Lilly come home & crawl around on nasty carpet. So, it's gonna get cleaned.